12.08.2009

Harper

It's been quite the week! Our little Harper Elaine was born on December 1, 2009. She weighed in at 7 lbs. 13 oz. and was 18 inches long. She's just beautiful; we are so smitten with our girls and could not be happier!

{Harper, just minutes old}

The Labor


Labor this time around was such a breeze compared to my labor with Rowan. I was scheduled to be induced on Dec. 1st, and honestly thought I was going to go into labor naturally before that. But, needless to say I didn't and we went in on our scheduled morning at 10:30. I was started on pitocin by 11:30; my doctor came in and broke my water around 1:15 or so and I asked for the epidural shortly after. By 3:00 I was only dilated 4cm, despite the fact that I was having consistent, strong contractions just about every minute. But, by 3:45 I was feeling lots of pressure and sure enough was 10cm dilated. My nurse called my doctor and I started to push. I only pushed for about 10 minutes and Harper was born at 4:13 pm. Thankfully we didn't have use forceps this time....it was such a great experience being able to push her out myself and feel it (sans pain, if that makes sense). Justin and I kept saying how easy it seemed this time. I am glad it was during the day. With Rowan being born at 1:30 in the morning, I was so exhausted afterward that I was delirious and was falling asleep mid-conversation. It was nice to have presence of mind and be able to soak in the whole experience.

One more thing I need to write down so I don't forget: with Rowan, I didn't get to spend much time with her when she was just born. Her heart rate had been a little irregular so they took her away to monitor her very quickly. I am so thankful I got to hold Harper right away, and then nurse her as well. What an incredible bonding moment. I just love her.

{post-bath, and oh so sleepy}

{Harper at about 15 hours old, with eyes open. I just think she's so beautiful, and looks so much like her big sister when she was a baby}

{Harper, just miserable under those lights}
Jaundice

Unfortunately we had to deal with the whole jaundice thing. Her bilirubin levels were at "moderate risk" levels when we left the hospital, and we were ordered to have her tested again the next day. Of course, they levels went up and we had to put her under the lights. I hate that bed--of course we want our baby to be healthy and happy, but honestly, who wants to not be able to snuggle their newborn those first few days of life? She hated being in there, and didn't last for long periods of time. Her levels finally went down today, a week later, so we are done with the lights. Thank goodness.

{more eyes-open yumminess}

{so sleepy, with the bow from the hospital still in her hair. i swear they glued it on}

{Harper at one week old, beautiful as can be}

Big Sister

The day Harper was born, the hospitals lifted all of their visitor restrictions that were set up because of the H1N1 virus, and Rowan was able to come meet her baby sister. But, sadly to say, she was much more interested in the hospital room and playing with the nurse call button than she was in her baby sister.

Since then, she's been pretty good with Harper. She notices her every morning and says "hi baby". She notices when Harper is sad, and of course when I'm feeding or changing the baby, Rowan pays extra close attention to what's going on. But, (knock on wood) we haven't felt much regression with her at this point. In fact, I feel like she's been trying harder to say new words, or say words she knows correctly. She has had a hard time with listening and obeying me, which I understand--she is not my sole focus anymore. But she really has been great, and is such a sweet, energetic, quirky little girl. I love her more than ever. And look how cute she is:

{Her hair is getting so long!}

{love her to death}

We are happy, and so grateful for two beautiful little girls!

9 comments:

Diana said...

CONGRATS!!! That is so great:) What cute little girls you have. I cannot believe how big Rowen is. I hope you are all doing great!

Melissa said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful. We can't wait to meet her (and hold her)! Having 2 is so much fun! Enjoy every moment (if you can :)).

Ashley said...

Congratulations!! What a beautiful little girl. I'm so glad to hear things went so well. So happy for your guys...

MiriamR said...

Congratulations guys. She is Gorgeous! Having two is so much fun, harder to go places alone but they will become such good friends.

stacey said...

she is just beautiful! congrats tate and jules! so glad labor was better this time. 3rd will be even easier! lol.

Leora said...

I'm so happy for you, Jules! They are both GORGEOUS!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful, I love how your girls have so much dark hair!

Shannon said...

Congratulations Jules--both your girls are beautiful!

Holly said...

Congratulations! I am so glad that everything went so well for you this time around. I don't think this little one could be any prettier - she is an absolute angel!